This day is very important for all UTAR newbies because it's the time where we know about UTAR stuffs, about your campus, your Chancellors, your faculty, rules in UTAR and other things. You must attend this event. I repeat, YOU MUST. Some of you might not be able to come but please ask your coursemates about it. Don't take it for granted and ignore those people who said it's NOT important. They are lying!
When you receive your feedback from UTAR about your application, you will be provided with a pamphlet about the orientation. If not, you can refer the schedules and events from these sites:
Orientation January 2011 (Perak UTAR campus) ***Updated***
You SHOULD attend these events according to your own faculty (Don't skip these!):-
- REGISTRATION OF NEW STUDENTS (BOTH Degree/Foundation Programmes)
- INDUCTION PROGRAMME
- VIDEO PRESENTATION
- GET TO KNOW
- ORIENTATION BRIEFING & MEETING UP WITH STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES
- MASS CALL
- BRIEFING OF DEANS & HEADS OF DEPARTMENTS
- FINANCIAL & BRIEFING
- SOFTSKILL TALK (Additional course for skills just like co-curicullum)
- CAMPUS ADJUSTMENT TALK
- SAFETY TALK
- ICE-BREAKING AND TELEMATCH (Mostly would be games and fun)
- INTEGRITY TALK
- CAREER TALK
- CAMPUS & LIBRARY TOUR
- SAFETY CAMPAIGN
- NON-SMOKING CAMPAIGN
- COMMUNITY SERVICE ACTIVITY
- BLOOD DONATION CAMPAIGN (You can help though but don't skip your classes)
- CITY TOUR
- PROMOTION OF UTAR STUDENT SOCIETIES & CLUBS (Choose your societies & clubs and you need to pay [not more than RM 10 or depends on your clubs] for each registrations)
- TALENT TIME (I don't what you are going to do except showing your talent. Duh!)
Orientation Foundation in Arts (FA) & Science (FS) [PJ Campus]
Orientation Faculty Of Accounting & Management (FAM) [Sg. Long Campus]
Orientation Faculty Of Creative Industries (FCI) [PJ Campus]
Orientation Faculty Of Engineering & Science (FES) [Setapak Campus]
Orientation Foundation and Degree Courses (Perak Campus)
The events which I've not stated here are very important and DON'T MISS THEM. You will regret if you do so...
Things you do before the orientation
You might be nervous (if you come alone) to meet new things like make friends from other states, knowing the routes and buildings of UTAR Kampar and get to know your first lecturers and homeworks. Relax. Your first day will be fine and nothing supernatural gonna happen.
Those who have super duper body piercings, remove them. Tattoo(s), remove it/them or just hide it/them under your clothes. Wear LONG trousers, sneakers, jeans and casual shirts. DO NOT WEAR short skirts, short trousers, sandals, overly fashioned clothing, sexy seducing clothes and other things. You won't pass the UTAR gate as the guard will ask you to go home and change. You can have a bit of style but not too much.
Don’t make yourself a shame at the first place. Just make your image as a university student instead of punk and gangster. For girls, don’t be so fashion like putting heavy makeups and dress as if you’re going for a fashion show to attract hunks and single dudes at the first day. Nobody will be interested, okey? So, play nice, look good and be normal.
You might see some of them have their ID cards with UTAR lanyard. Don’t worry as at you first day, you won’t need them. You will get them soon. I have some good tips to ease yourself at that day:-
- Get a document file and put some paper along and a pen (or just simply your pencil case). You might need to write important information rather than memorizing them. It’s gonna be a lot of things. Plus, get a BLACK ballpoint pen because you must use only this kind of pen to fill your application forms and make signatures on UTAR documents. Paper comes when you need to jot important informations.
- This is the important ones:- Your Timetable. I advise you to print this template (Click here to download) for your ease. You will find it very useful because you need to copy your timetable manually. So, ask anyone who is in charge on your faculty about the timetable and look for the place where you can get it. It also resembles the printed UTAR timetable on the noticeboard so you will copy your timetable easily.
- If you have a digital camera, I suggest you bring it along if you don’t want to copy thousands of important stuffs with paper and pen. Camera phones is okey but not a good choice to do so because you might get blur shots. If you are lucky or having nice camera in your phone, ignore this steps but get the idea of snapping infos.
- You can bring small bottle of water and when you ran out off water, you can refill them at the 'drinking fountain' around the campus for free.
- If you sweat a lot, you might need to bring another shirt. If not, UTAR is going to provide UTAR t-shirt for you on the spot. During the mass call event, you need to wear it. So, be lucky to have the t-shirt of your size. If not, you need to return to UTAR office to get them. No payment is required as the shirt is included in your fees.
*Psst! You can see the UTAR - My choice behind your T-shirt*
So, I bet you will be tiring after sitting on a chair for hours. You will know your Dean (the person who leads your faculty) and see whether he/she is going to teach you.
After these orientation process, you're officially a UTARians!
In these days, you can pay your fees together with your receipt (computer-printed or letter). You are given the 1st and 2nd week period to settle your bill. If not, additional fees will be imposed. If you don't have the money, borrow them from your family members or friends and pay them back after you get your PTPTN money or scholarship. You can't wait for both of them to pay it because they will come after the 2nd week. So, don't waste your money by paying additional bill.
So, with the additional time, go look for new friends and hangout with them!