How's My Day In UTAR Kampar?

Thursday, October 1, 2009

I miss it!

Due to my last hectic semester of Chemistry degree in UTAR Kampar, I can't blog so much but still I kept pictures and blog them now while I have 3 months semester break. Cool eh?

So, after my final exams for Year 2 Semester 1, I miss my lab sessions so much. The feeling of discovering things and analyzing them in your brain and not forgetting the stress of finishing up lab reports at eleventh hour (means last minute la) and in the end, get (or not in my case in UTAR) the unexpected report marks. Actually, I don't care how many marks I got in every lab reports. As long as I gain the experiences and skills, that's all I need...

I REALLY MISS MY LAB SESSION AT BLOCK D, UTAR KAMPAR.

Here's some few shots during my previous lab session. This is how we (young chemists) work in real time lab. Might boring you with my words but it's interesting to do them... Pure fun!
I forgot what's this experiment about but I remember what compound I'm producing here...
See the white clumps? They are aspirin. It's just one of the compound in your paracetamols' medicine so, in here, it's inedible...
My teammate... Isn't she look professional?
This is another experiment called "Oxidation of borneol to camphor by chromic acid". The green colour is exhibited by the chromium salts. Camphor is the white solid crystal which is mostly used as insect repellant and religious ceremonies mainly for Indians in Malaysia.
This is easier to understand right? Not to forget, cooling balm like Vicks Vapor Rub contains camphor due to their cooling effect, anesthetic and anti-microbial properties.
In order to get camphor, cooling process like ice bath (above) is required.
Seperating funnel is used to seperate the aqueous (water-dissolved) phase and organic (nonwater-dissolved/oil-based) phase. See the white crystals at the bottom of the funnel? They are camphor.
See the clear layer? That's the organic layer which we don't want in the end of the experiment.
Almost there...
I'm not the only person who is likes to take photos. Taking photo during lab might help the team in future discussion for lab reports.
Tada! End of experiment!
(She like her pose in this photo by the way! :P)

That's the part of my lab session which last 2 1/2 hours per session in a week. For science students, we think that lab session is either fun or tiring. Sometimes, we might feel disappointed on failure and mishaps during practicals and abnormal results and we need to start over fast when the time is short. Therefore, the team must work together and know what they are doing is the priority and main goal to achieve standard (I shouldn't say perfect because there's no perfect situation in lab experiment or else we are in PhDs) results.

A bientot!




blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails